Meet the Event's Founders: Craig, Kathleen, Justin & Nicole Hostert
The Hosterts are an active family, going on ski trips, camping trips, attending sporting events, spending time with friends and just watching movies together. You would never guess that Craig used to rely on dialysis to maintain his life or that two of the family members are living kidney donors.
In 1986, Craig was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder of the kidneys. When his kidneys failed, Craig's three brothers and sister tested to be kidney donors, but were ruled out. After years on dialysis for Craig and endless testing, Kathleen was matched as a donor. On June 25, 1998, the transplant surgery was completed, with successful results.
After the lifesaving transplant, Craig and Kathleen have made it their mission to spread the word of organ donation. In 2003, they founded the Southern California Donate Life Run/Walk and Family Festival which has grown to be the largest gathering in the country to promote organ and tissue donation. Over the years Justin and then Nicole began to take more active roles in the event and today are just as committed as their parents to the cause. Justin is responsible for the entire route and Nicole is Assistant Stage Manager.
In 2012 the family was faced once again with the catastrophic illness of kidney failure. After 14 years, the kidney that Kathleen donated to Craig failed and Craig was once again on dialysis. The family was devastated. On December 11, 2012 Craig’s life was once again saved from a transplant. Justin was 9 at the time of the first transplant and was upset that he was not able to give his dad a kidney. He wanted to save his dads life. Fourteen years later, he did just that. Justin’s left kidney was removed and transplanted in Craig.
To this end, the entire family is committed to do whatever they can to celebrate the miracle of transplantation and they look forward in continuing the Southern California community tradition, the Donate Life Run/Walk.
Read more about the Hostert family:
- CBS Los Angeles - 23-Year-Old Donates Kidney to Dying Father
- CBS Los Angeles - Father And Son Reunite After Kidney Transplant Operation
- CBS Los Angeles - New Year, New Life For Dying Father Who Received Kidney From Son
- OC Register - Wife gives him kidney, then that fails...
- OC Register - A lifetime extended
- OC Register - Fullerton couple inspire Grammy-winning group's comeback
- OC Register - Double transplant recipient promotes Run/Walk
- OC Register - Participants sought for Donate Life Run/Walk
- OC Register - A mother gives her son life and, soon, a kidney